Friday, February 18, 2011

Yesterday, Aaron and I hopped into the car and ventured off to his six week check-up.  Through the dreadfully thick fog we went to find the neuroscience clinic to see his surgeon.  The fog was so thick that it made Aaron and I claustrophobic...I literally had a panic attack when we were out in the middle of nowhere...taking various back roads...and visibility was about two inches.  But, through the grace of God we made it safe and sound. 

His doctor appt was full of good news.  Aaron has made lots of progress...

He has went from laying in bed for days to walking around by himself with a cane.  He's amazing!

This is Aaron in the hospital only about a month ago.

He even told Aaron that he became "famous" because of his surgery.  Apparently, Dr. Sherr was on TV for it and everything.  He presented Aaron's case in front of the "nerdy neurologists and ER docs at the hospital" and "they were all like 'that is totally cool'" (yes, those are the words of Dr. Sherr---not your typical neurosurgeon.)  Dr. Sherr and his PA, Rachel, said that Aaron is the "poster child for this kind of surgery."  They were amazed at how well Aaron is doing.  We were tickled with the good news.  We were on cloud nine. 


I was excited to pick up our children and head home.  A good friend of mine had left a pot of delicious soup in our fridge and yummy buns on the counter.  How lucky could we be?  After an exhausting day, we did not have to get fast food for supper and I thought that there was nothing to worry about.  Life is good.

Then we came crashing back to earth.  Abram was sick, thank goodness for grandmothers.  And, on top of everything else, the answering machine had a message that I needed to call the clinic about the results of my pap smear, and of course they are out of the clinic until Monday.  Ummmm....can that be good?  They usually send a post card in the mail that says your pap is negative.  I am sure that it is nothing, but I am a realist and one that has been slapped in the face with the "nurse curse" (if you are a nurse----you know what I am talking about.)  So, I faithfully have realized that nothing is in my hands.  Very little is in my control.  It is in God's.

So, once again, when it rains it pours.  Everything will turn out fine.  I know it will.  Just a few more bends in our road.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe SCMC is trying to save money on postage....? Ugh...keep me posted. Well, me and the rest of the world here reading your blog!

    Glad Aaron continues to amaze more people! So thrilled the appt went well.

    Praying for you both as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of the verse in Isaiah 40:31 when I read your newest blog. "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” I am so proud of you, Mandy. Through all of this adversity, you have soared on eagles wings with your courage and optimism.

    ReplyDelete