Sunday, February 6, 2011

An Adventure Home

Yesterday morning we were glad to have several visitors.  Our neighbors brought over a delicious lunch (which we felt very blessed to receive.)  Then, a couple of our best friends (and their two beautiful children) came to visit and that really brightened Aaron's day.  They took our kids sledding which was great.  I think that it is important to have them do normal, fun, winter activities with friends.  Even though their mom and dad are unable to go with them at this time.


The evening marked a new beginning.  Aaron and I took a car ride for a little while and then we ventured home.  Our home.  It felt so good to be home even if we were only there for a short amount of time.  The wooden steps, our own bed, the smells, everything felt so good.  I did not notice the nicks and scratches on the walls that I had seen before Aaron's accident.  The little pieces of molding that were falling off of the walls and the dirty windows did not phase me.  There are still a few Christmas decorations that I did not have a chance to take down, but I will, hopefully before spring.  All of these things would typically bother me but they just did not seem to matter anymore.  My eyes have been opened to the things that really matter.

Aaron carefully walked on our stairs and it went well.  I had him try to lay in our bed and that went great.  Now, all we can do is patiently wait for our friends and brother-in-laws to come over and put our handicap toilets in and grab bars on the walls.  All of these small things are necessities for Aaron and then we will be set to venture home.  Hopefully we can be home this week.

While we were at home, Aaron told me to make sure that the dryer vent was clear outside. 

"How do I do that?" I asked.  This is one of the many tasks that Aaron was in charge of at home.

"Here," he said after he glanced around our kitchen and spotted a wooden spoon.  Then he spied a foam sword in the basket of toys that had been temporarily revoked from Abram and Noah.  He handed me the boys' foam sword and a wooden spoon.

"What in the heck am I supposed to do with those?"  I asked, still confused as to what exactly I am suppose to do.  Adding to the confusion is a wooden spoon in my right hand and a foam sword in my left.  Hmmm...  "Take those and clear the dryer vent," he said laughing.  "Those [the spoon and sword] will work fine."

So, outside I trudged through the knee-hip deep snow with our Newfoundland Rex. 

We, Rex and I, made it to the dryer vent and I began digging with the ridiculously small wooden spoon.  And then Rex fought me tooth and nail to take the spoon and the foam sword.  I am sure I looked absolutely ridiculous fighting a 150 lb dog for a foam sword and trying to clean a dryer vent out with a wooden spoon but it was a task that I had to complete, and I did with the help of my buddy Rex.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Home this week already! We can't wait to come visit you in YOUR home! I'm sure you already have all the help you need to get stuff ready, but if something comes up and you need someone else to help, don't hesitate to call Adam or me.

    And our day was brightened by visiting you guys, too. We had so much fun just drinking coffee, eating your food, and talking.

    I would have loved to see you clearing out the dryer vent with Rex! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! that is way too funny!! I really did laught out loud!
    Oh the things we take for granted when our husbands can't help!!
    I can't imagine how wonderful it was to feel "home" Glad to hear you will be there soon!!

    ReplyDelete