Monday, February 21, 2011

His Side-Kick

A dad is like a super hero to his children.  Someone who is invincible.  Dads can do anything.  That is how our boys view Aaron.  Now they see that their Super Dad is wounded and I am starting to see the impact that it has on them.

Noah and Abram are stuck to their dad like glue.  But, Noah is much more attached to his dad.  Maybe it is because he is older and more aware of what is going on.  He is at Aaron's beckon call.  He does whatever Aaron asks him to, without complaining (and mothers of pre-adolescent children know that not complaining is huge.)  Noah helps Aaron out of the car, into bed, takes his brace off and he sits by Aaron for hours on end.  If Aaron was a super hero, Noah would be his side-kick. 

I think part of Noah's vigilance is fear.  He wants his dad to be safe, protected.  I was rearranging furniture on our main floor and Noah was in the basement playing Wii in our family room.  I noisily moved a chair and within seconds Noah was at my side.  "What was that noise?  Did dad fall?" he asked with tears in his eyes.  Aaron was fast asleep upstairs, safely in his bed.  That was the first glimpse of the fear that I saw in Noah.



Everyone keeps telling me that out of something bad comes something good.  Well, I know that I have expressed that I am having a hard time finding the good in this situation.  But, as Aaron has been healing and life is getting easier, my eyes are starting to open.  Before Aaron's accident, he loved to work.  He always made time for his boys but, in other people's words, Aaron was a work-a-holic.  Now, I see a side of him with the boys that I have never seen before.  A bond that cannot be broken.  The love in our children's eyes for their father.  The kindness and patience that they have shown Aaron and myself.  That is something that we may have had before, but I can clearly see now.

The boys' (and mine) rock did crumble.  Aaron is the most fragile that they we have ever seen.  But, it is encouraging to see Aaron get stronger and better everyday.

Today I feel like I should follow in one of my best friends footsteps...you know who you are...and start to count our blessings (because I feel that we have been bombarded with detriments and I need to look for the good in our lives...this will be a good start:)

#1.  Great friends, family, and neighbors (pretty broad...I know but a good start)
#2.  Two wonderful little boys who are happy and healthy
#3.  My husbands improving health
#4.  Two fellow bloggers who keep me going (and two of the greatest friends a girl could have)
#5.  Neighbors (including a co-worker) who showed up out of the blue to clear out the snow in our yard...it was perfect timing because Aaron needed bowel care from McDonald's
#6.  Mothers and mother-in-laws who take the children when the stomach flu is in our home
#7.  A phone call from my brother-in-law just to see how I am doing (he always seems to call when I need him)
#8.  All of the delicious food that friends, family, and co-workers have given us


Today was a good day.  Aaron is enjoying a delicious root beer float from my co-workers.

#9.  Aunts and uncles (and friends) who take time out of their busy lives to organize a benefit for Aaron (after he has seen some the medical bills that have accrued, he does not think that it is such a bad idea:)
#10.  A warm house, gas in the car, hot showers, and vacuums that work...these are things that keep me sane

I know I left out The Man Upstairs, but I feel that he is laced within everything that I am thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. I could have written this same article in 1992 about a little girl who was nine years old and sticking to her mom like glue because her mom was so sick and she was so afraid of losing her mom. For four months this little 9-year old girl stuck to her mom, going to the hospitals over and over and never letting her mom out of her sight. She was just like Noah. Noah has a little piece of her inside of him and I thank God every day. Out of this, there came a bond that is stronger than ever. I'm sure Aaron and the boys will have this bond for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo of Aaron! He looks so good! And what a heart felt post. Noah is very sweet and so grown up.

    And I'm so happy you started "counting", too! It's kinda hard at first....I started with broad things too. But it really did/does help me to be less negative and cynical and after awhile, all the little things I might otherwise ignore become the things that help me get through my day.

    And I think I'm going through Luthi withdrawal. We haven't seen you guys in awhile now! When we get back from our trip we'll have to get together!

    ReplyDelete