Saturday, November 13, 2010

Goodbye, My Love

Today, I had to say goodbye to something that was very close to me.  Something that cuddled with my husband and I during late night movies.  She has heard our laughter and felt our tears.  She has endured baby spit-up and poop, dog and cat puke, and an occasional food splatter.  But, unfortunately, her presence in our bedroom has come to an end.  I can no longer suffer through mending holes and attempting to take out stains and vacuuming up feathers.  Our 10 year relationship has, regretfully, come to an abrupt end. 

And so today, I say good bye to a loving friend- my beautiful, light green, down blanket. She has laid on our bed with grace.  Countless forts have been made using her.  She has been drug through out the house, stepped on, slid down the stairs on, and been washed at least once a week for the last 10 years.  Many memories are attached to her, so it is difficult to say goodbye.  She has served us well, but unfortunately, can no longer be repaired. 


Takin' a Snooze with My Blanket

My husband was very sceptical about her new microfiber, down, ivory replacement (by the way- it was on sale at Herbergers.) 

"It feels too light," he tells me with a scowl. 

"Oh, honey, just sleep with it for the night and let me know what you think in the morning," I say with a smile. 

The next morning, he was up hours before daylight and out hunting with his friends.  I made the bed with care, as I do every other morning.  But, today was different.  I did not have my green blanket counterpart to place on the bed.

Instead, her replacement was staring at me, longing to be folded.   So, I gingerly worked with her, folding and re-folding her.  But she never quite fit, not like her predecessor.  "Hmmm..." After several attempts at folding, I finally figured out the way she fits perfectly at the end of our bed.  And, she was elegant and beautiful.

Once again, Thank you to my boys for taking a pic of me barely awake, with no make up on...



I know better than to call my husband (even though my fingers were itching) to see how he liked the new blanket, so I impatiently patiently waited for him to call me- even though I was dyeing to know.  Finally, mid-morning my cell phone rang.  I did not care about who shot what, tracking blood trails, or the mondo buck that so-and-so missed.  All I wanted to know was how he liked our new bed partner.  "Ummm...I think I like this one better..." was all he could say with his macho-man-hunting-friends so near.  But I knew he loved her just as much as I did!

So, I say good bye to my old down blanket as I throw her into the dumpster.  SO many memories are attached to her.  But, I am excited to curl up with my husband tonight with our new blanket and make new memories;)

1 comment:

  1. Love this story - made me laugh out loud! So glad I'm not the only sentimental one out there. I got a new comforter from herberger's, too - had to fight the awful door-busters crowd in Fargo for it! And Jack already got it all dirty with something unidentifiable! Oh and the shallow depth of field in the last photo of you is pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete