Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Family Photo Shoot

I am not a model and have never claimed to be.  Just because I have the height of a run way model does not mean that I am graceful or elegant.  Walking in high heel shoes makes me look like I am some sort of a circus freak (but I continue purchasing high heels with the hopes of being able to walk in them; then I am sadly disappointed when I have to find different homes for the shoes because they are on the brink of causing my demise.)  In addition to being a klutz, I have a pelvis that could birth triplets.  So, all of that added up = not being photogenic.  

One of my goals every year is to get a immediate family picture.  This is something that I hope to accomplish for the rest of my life.  Someday, hopefully, our family picture will include daughter-in-laws and grandchildren.

Our family is lucky enough to have a friend who dabbles in photography.  And, she is patient enough to deal with our wild boys.  Her name is Cassie and she is a miracle worker.

So, on a bitterly cold day we bundled up in our jackets, hats, mittens and set out in an attempt to capture our family in a photo (if that is possible.)  We loaded up in a white Suburban and were off on an adventure armed with suckers (thanks to our friend) and a camera.  The wind was wicked but we were determined to get an outdoor photo on an abandoned gravel road and at my husband's family farm. 

Miraculously, Cassie was talented enough to get many wonderful photos.  When I was flipping threw over 180 pics, I had a difficult time choosing.  How do you choose?  Each photo was unique in its own way.  None of our family was ever looking in the same direction or smiling at the same time or positioned correctly.  We, including myself, were not very compliant.  Abram would not sit still and Noah had an attack of the giggles.  Eventually, I was able to narrow 188 pics down to 30 pics and then 20. 





Then it was time to photo edit them.  I touched up the green buggers, strands of snot, and fly away hairs.  Carefully, I looked at the lighting and coloring and attempted to sharpen Abram's images that were a little blurry from all of his movement.  Finally, a couple of hours later....they were complete.  Our family photos were complete.  Yes!  Press Save...Click....

Oh crap...I pressed the wrong button... Not Delete.... Oh no.

My computer would not let me retrieve them.  Why, oh why, would my computer not let me retrieve them.  I dropped my head down on the desk next to the darn computer.  Time to start over. 

I went through all of the photos again.  Photo edited again.  Took all of the buggers, strands of snot, and fly away hairs out, again. Adjusted some of the lighting and coloring, again.  Sharpened Abram's images, again.




Finally, they were complete.  It was totally worth all of the work---and extra work.  We are blessed enough to have beautiful family pics that will last us for the rest of our lives.  These pics are completely priceless to me, and they only cost me giving Cassie one of the high heeled pairs of shoes that almost killed me.


"Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts"- Author Unknown.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just wanted to say your pictures are gorgeous! You have such a beautiful family.

    I 'happened' upon your blog a few weeks ago and have loved reading about you and your family. Your posts make me laugh and are so entertaining! :) Hope its ok I'm reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo obsessed with that first family photo!
    I agree with kristy, you have a beautiful family and beautiful personalities to go with it!

    ReplyDelete