Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Today Is a New Day

A new day started with a new hospital room.  Another move, another bed, another sleeper sofa, hospital room #5.  It makes me appreciate our little hospital and the continuity of care that we give our patients. 

But today was a good day on the road to recovery.  There are bumps in the road, muscles cramps, nausea, vomiting, hard work, sweat, and tears.  But we are on it.

Aaron's upright, working hard with therapy.


I think of my children back at home.  I miss them so much...I can not find the words to describe the ache in my heart.  Thank God for grandmothers and friends that will look after them while we are on our road.  My poor little Abram has the stomach flu and my poor mother has to clean up after him----and I feel so much guilt.  And I...we...are stuck in a hospital room waiting for strength and mobility.

The highlight of my day:  When Aaron went to surgery I held on to his wedding ring...it was like I had his life in my hands.  I placed it on my necklace and kept it close to my heart (I know it sounds cliche but it is the truth.)  Today, he was able to put it back on his finger and we both wept.

We can still see the light at the end of the tunnel.  And it is getting brighter.  We were told at the end of this week we will probably be able to go home. So family members are busy working trying to prepare our home (actually we will be living with Aaron's mom) for his arrival.

This is Aaron's mom.  I know it is an old photo but I do not have my camera or any of my other photos at the hospital.  This is the best I could come up with.

Our previous experiences with surgery and in ICU are a faint blur in my memory and a slight ache in my heart.  Now, we have no where to look but to the path ahead of us.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry Abram is sick! And I would like to tell you to not feel guilty about being away from your kids during this time, even with Abram sick and your mom cleaning up after him, but I know there's no way to take the guilty feeling away and that I would feel the same way. But what you are doing is right...Aaron is your top and only priority right now. He needs you the most right now, and even if they don't realize it, knowing that mom & dad are together....even if they are away....is comforting to the souls of your boys.

    The wedding ring story is touching and I get it....it may sound cliche but it is so not.

    You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy for you. I know there is still a long road ahead, but it sounds so much better than what you thought.
    Cassie is right...your place is with your husband right now. Your kids will understand. And don't feel guilty, that's what Grandma's are for, and they will do it with unconditional love.
    The wedding ring story is so touching. Thinking of you often, even though we are on vacation, not a day goes by I don't think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron looks great!! Hope he is getting used to his brace! I am sure he has much more appreciation for Abram and why he doesn't want to wear it. You are being so strong Amanda!! And Aaron is being strong in and out! I also loved the wedding ring. It is a symbol of your love and journey you have been through. I tear up thinking of the struggles you both have been through but am so amazed how much stronger your relationship is. I didn't think you guys could get any closer! I am so sad Abram is sick and I hope he feels better soon! Can't wait to have you guys back home!!

    ReplyDelete