Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Road to Recovery

It has been a long week. One week ago today, Sunday, we had our life changing moment.  And needless to say, we are still hunkered down in the hospital.  I know that we will be here for a while.

Yesterday, Aaron walked.  I cannot express the joy and tears that I felt in that moment.  I did not know if that day would ever come.  Even though it happened when his neurosurgeon pulled him out of bed, literally, with a back brace, walker, diaper, catheter, and "poop running down his legs"---Aaron's words---- and nothing else on and man handled him into the hallway.  And three of us held him up and trucked down the hallway.  Aaron was pale faced, blood pressure in the gutter, and very sore, but he walked. He walked

It made me think back to the day that Abram walked.  We never thought that day would come.  But, one day he took steps in our dining room, with his back brace, walker, and diaper on.  Aaron and I were both lucky enough to witness it.  And we shed tears of joy. 

Yesterday, I had the same indescribable feeling.  Aaron walked.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I can see it.

The road to recovery is going to be a long bumpy road.  He is going to have more pain than I could ever imagine.  Aaron might not be able to control his bowels or bladder, he maybe never will---although I hope and pray that they will.  But, darn it, he can walk.  He has feeling in his legs and that is a miracle.

So, today through the pain, nausea, enemas, commode mishaps, vomiting, and bad tempers, Aaron walked.

We are so fortunate.  Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda. I just read your comment on my blog. And I have to say something similar; I haven't completely read word for word your past 2 or 3 posts because I can't read through all the tears. Our lives would not be the same without you two, and having Aaron as a friend has been such a blessing for Adam! We would give anything to help ease this load for you. So sorry to hear today was a rougher day, but the whole walking thing makes us happy. We're not done praying and God's not done healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a miracle...he is walking! He is inspiring us everyday! We are so thankful for every step he takes! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete