Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Adventurer

Our boys are very adventurous.  Constantly trying new things and getting into everything, virtually fearless.  Well, I can see where they get it from...their father.

Today, while I was in the bathroom, Aaron was up walking around with his walker.  He has become pretty steady on his feet so I usually try to give him space.  He gets very upset with me when I hover.  When I emerged from the bathroom door, I saw him being very naughty.  He was walking down the stairs...by himself.  Yes, that's right, walking down the stairs...by himself.  I felt my heart pounding in my head and tears overflowed my eyes. 

"No!" I yelled and ran to him.  I do not know exactly why I was so upset about this.  The vision of him falling down the steps and re-breaking his back flashed through my head.  He could have undone the weeks of progress that we made. 

"I like an adventure," he said with a smile.  I know he was just trying to push himself, just trying to see if he could do it on his own, without me holding him up.  He used to be my rock and now I am his. 

He promised that he would never take on an adventure like that again.

Aaron walking around his mom's house.  It is Christmas all year around:)


The days have become very hit and miss.  One morning he will be up walking around, laughing and talking.  By the afternoon, he will be overcome with muscle cramps and pain.  Then, it takes a day to recover from the pain and he starts to fall behind.  Frustration and depression show their ugly faces.  But, he has been working hard, pushing himself (which is sometimes not the wisest thing.)  Aaron is an amazing person.

Our boys have been great.  Honestly and truly...they have been handling everything with ease.  Kids are so versatile.  Noah has really stepped up to the big brother plate, keeping vigilance over his little brother.  Abram has been very helpful, without complaining.  We are very fortunate. 

I am also very thankful that Aaron has such a large supportive family.  They have all been very good to us.  His work family and my work family have also been very supportive.  There has been a never ending parade of people coming to Aaron's parents house.  Everyone helping in every way possible (their cooking beats the hospital food!)  It is amazing how everyone, especially in a small community, come together in a time of need.  Again, we thank the Lord for all of the love and support from everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a sap! Every time I read one of your posts I want to call you up and tell you both how much I love you. But I'm not gonna bug you....but I still love you.

    I can picture in my head the scene you described with Aaron heading down the stairs. I can feel that stabbing urgency in your heart. But I have to smile at his adventurous spirit and how he must have planned to wait to do this when you were occupied in the bathroom.

    Aaron really IS an amazing person like you said, but so are you and so are your boys!

    ReplyDelete