Monday, September 23, 2013

Bamboozled

I was bamboozled by a couple of elderly ladies.  Both had white cottony hair, glasses on lanyards around their necks, and fanny packs.

I should have known the moment I entered their little antique shop and smelled the home made cookies and coffee.  I should have ran like the wind out the door.  But, alas, I did not.  Before I knew it, I had a warm cup of coffee in one hand and a soft melt-in-your-mouth cookie in the other (I'll never say no to coffee and a gooey chocolate chip cookie.) I aimlessly wandered around a crowded junk vintage shop thinking, "Crap, now I have to buy something."

I meandered through the store, nibbling on the cookie and letting the warmth of the coffee heat my hands, looking at all of the stuff.  Tons and tons of stuff.  Piles of stuff.  Some of the toys I recognized from my own childhood... very very sad that they are in an antique store.

The ladies chatted about the cold weather and a new business in a nearby town.  They would laugh and sway to the Beatles music that was quietly playing in the background. 

I felt like I had to buy something.... anything.  You can't take a cup of coffee and cookie from a couple of old ladies without buying something from their store--- right?  Right.

The only thing that really caught my I was a bookshelf (yes another book shelf.)  How many book shelves does one person need?  Apparently three.  But I ended up walking out of the store with an overpriced, rickety book shelf. 

I cleaned the cob webs off the shelf and then loaded it into the car.
The cat would not get out of the picture. I would move her and she would walk back into the photo.  Whatever.

As I was driving away I suddenly realized... I was completely and totally bamboozled by a couple of elderly ladies.  How could someone not buy something when you are greeted with hot coffee and homemade cookies?  Wow.  Those are impressive selling tactics.

2 comments:

  1. One can never ever ever have too many bookshelves. Especially if they are that cute.

    When we grow up, let's be smart, cunning, innocent-appearing old ladies with beady lanyards for our glasses and sell over-priced crap in exchange for luscious cookies and amazing coffee. Or we could just drink the coffee and eat the cookies. That would be okay, too.

    ReplyDelete