Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Miracle

{Just a clarification:  The following story is not a privacy violation.  It happened in my personal life (not at work.)  And I was given permission to talk about it.  I was once told, "There's no HIPPA in the hair salon."  This did not take place in a hair salon, but you get my drift.}

I have witnessed many miracles throughout my life.  Perhaps more than I will ever know.  So, here is another one...

It was a typical Sunday at church.  I hate to jinx it, but the boys have been listening really well in church... so much so that Aaron and I actually hear the sermon.  The pastor was well into his sermon when it happened.  An elderly gentleman, Ken, passed out in church.  Not too unusual.  I would say almost every Sunday at least one person is brought into the ER from church for this same thing.

But... he did not look right.  His skin was pale and grey. 

"You better go over there," Aaron nudged me.

I found my feet running (in heels.)

To my knees I fell next to him.  Kent, another parish member whispered, "I can't find his pulse."
"Really?" I replied.  Pulse less.  And he was not breathing.  Oh, crap.  Really?  I told Kent (who is a big guy) to start CPR.  The AED magically appeared by me.  I unraveled the cord, pressed the on button, and stuck the pads to his lifeless chest.  Kent continued to do chest compressions. 

Ken's wife looked on.  And then started to take off his shoes.  We asked her to not touch him (because of the AED.)  "I thought he would be more comfortable with his shoes off," she replied.  Now that is love.

There was a slight problem (besides the guy not breathing without a pulse,) the AED would not turn on.  Nope.  Nothing.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  No beeps or some weird lady telling you what to do. 

Ken let out a couple agonal breaths, which Kent (now we are talking about Ken and Kent---confusing I know) thought was real breathing.  I told him to continue chest compressions.  I could hear my CPR instructor in my head saying, "Don't mess around trying to find a pulse...if the patient doesn't need CPR- he'll tell you... continue compressions until the patient yells at you to stop..."

Panic started to set in.  I thought to myself, we are not going to be able to save this 76 year old, successful independent business man.  He is going to die right in front of his wife, under our hands.

And then it happened.  The pastor sat down next to Ken's wife and started to pray.  I don't remember what exactly was said but whatever it was must have worked.  Because Ken woke up.  Like something on a movie.  The life was breathed back into him.  He was wide eyed (and nauseated--- but I won't go into that.)  And, he lived to tell his tail.

I have always been a believer in the power of prayer... or even just sending positive energy another persons way.  But something happened this Sunday.  Something miraculous.  Something words cannot describe. 

Scientific wise, we could explain what happened a million and one different ways.  Honestly, I do not think that the doctors really believed me that he was pulse less and was revived.  But, I also know that these same physicians do not believe in God (I have heard them openly say it.)  And someone was looking after Ken that Sunday.

All I know is that it was a miracle.  There is no other way to say it.

2 comments:

  1. As I watched you beside Ken, I couldn't believe how "in control" you were. Your nursing skills kicked in and here was this woman, my daughter, determined to help this man who she barely knew. I started to pray, too, as well as most of the people in the church and all of those prayers in that church came to Ken in the form of a miracle. God truly is amazing and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you posted this! And I love your take on the whole event. People just simply do not "wake up" like that during CPR. What an amazing thing to experience.

    ReplyDelete