Monday, November 28, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree

On a blustery day, after the day after Thanksgiving, my children were driving me crazy with Christmas tree talk. 

For days they have been asking to put the Christmas tree up.  Well...really... it started last summer when they were complaining about how they missed snow!  But I forced them to focus on Thanksgiving before we busted out the tree.

And then they whined and cried after the brief snowfall that graced our home last week melted.  But I assured them, as surely as death and taxes, the snow would return.  And it did.  With avenging winds and sub freezing temps. 

I wanted to try something different this year, a real Christmas tree.  I had hopes of us all bundling up and going to our local Christmas tree farm.... picking out the most perfectly shaped tree, cutting it down, snapping some memorable photos, and hauling it into our dining room.  But I was painfully shot down by Aaron who brought me back to planet earth. 

The reality is that our cozy home contains too many boys, too many dogs, and a crazy cat.  We have a hard enough time keeping our artificial tree intact.  Maybe someday we will have a real tree.

So, we dragged our boxed up tree out of storage and then it started. 


To be truthful, we actually have three trees.  Two little ones- one for each of the boys- and then a big one.  All of which are prelit.  None of which the lights worked. 

Aaron spent hours cutting off the strands of lights (that were zip tied onto every branch of every tree.)  And then begged me, "Please, please, please do not buy any more prelit trees."  I can't argue with that. 

After what was suppose to be a 'quick Christmas decorating morning' (turned to Christmas decorating several days) the trees are up and decorated.  And the boys are ecstatic, which is really all that matters.  They each decorated their own trees, the way they wanted them decorating- it's so hard to give up control!







Even the crazy cat did her part.


We have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season.  Too much to count. 

So, thank you to everyone who has helped us out in the past year.  We appreciate every one's kindness!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE your pictures!! I could comment on all of them. Aaron working so hard on the tree with his bluetooth...crack me up! You captured the boys excitement. Looks like so much fun! Why do husband always have to bring us back to planet earth? Well, maybe they make our lives easier. Keep wishing on a real tree someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! It's tradition around here to put up the tree on the weekend after Thanksgiving, too. The kids really loved it this year!

    We have a pre-lit tree, too. So far only one bulb is out.....

    And no outdoor lights for us this year. Belle will just chew them up.

    Someday, someday, we are gonna do a real tree, too. But Adam is a fun hater......so I don't know when that day will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started a new tradition this year and that was to put my Christmas tree up "before" Thanksgiving and I plan on doing that every year from now on because I get to be the first one to see the joy on the grandson's faces plus they love to decorate my tree. I look past all of the troubles this year and look into the wonderful faces of my grandsons and think we are all so very, very blessed!

    ReplyDelete