Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Memories

Coming from a small family, I never realized all of the chaos induced by being married into a large family. 
Aaron actually agreed (with much persuasion) to wear a v-neck sweater to Christmas. 

This weekend was Christmas with Aaron's family.  Over the past year, I can name millions of things to be thankful for.  I have been writing a list in my head and in my heart.  On the top of that list is family and close friends...
Look who loves the Stella and Dot necklace!

We gathered with many of the most important people in our lives at Aaron's oldest brother's (Ryan) home.  And honestly, I spent the beginning of the weekend feeling slightly annoyed.  When so many people gather in a small space, there are many different parenting styles, many different temperaments, and walks in life.  I would think to myself, "Ahhh... do you [meaning my in-laws] not discipline your children... your child just nailed my child in the head with a wooden log and you didn't even bat an eye... no one cares about the spilt whatever that stained Heather's white rug... would you people just watch your own children... your children don't have a bedtime--- what????  Why is no one helping Ryan and Heather.... yadayadayada...  AHHHHHH!!!!"
This picture says a thousand words about the difference between Christmas when I was younger compared to where technology has taken our children (the kids gathered around a tablet instead of a board game or books.)  Good or bad... I am still undecided.

I could tell that my sister-in-law Heather was feeling the same anxiety (and probably palpitations) that I was feeling too.  Never has so many people gathered in her home before.  Two grandparents... one great uncle... nine aunts/uncles (moms and dads)... nine cousins ranging from ages 2-12 (grandchildren)... one old grey hound... two cats... yep... that's about it.
This little guy got exactly what he wanted for Christmas!

But then at one point, midway through our holiday celebration, I realized how fortunate we all are to have each other. 
A giraffe Pillow Pet, is there a better Christmas present for little brother?

Heather doing a much needed french braid in cousin Jasmine's hair.


The annoyance left me and was quickly replaced by the gratitude for all of the these people.  My boys will always have cousins to play with.  We always have family to lean on.  If I forget a casserole in the oven and am in the middle of a Christmas concert, there is always someone to call to run over to our house and take it out (that has happened more than once.)  When Aaron was in the hospital, feeling lower than low, and we needed reinforcements... all it took was a text message--- no questions asked--- and big brother was on his way.  These are people who do not judge you when you are at your worst--- smelly with no make up or being sick or recovering from major surgery.

We are all so lucky to have such a tight knit family.  But I think that when people are really close, their little idiosyncrasies get on each others nerves. I just have to remember to step back and enjoy everyone.  Especially when we are all under the same roof.  We have our own Christmas memories forming.  I love opening my eyes and watching my children's holiday memories come to life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! I can just see your calm expression while having palpitations and NO ONE, not even Aaron is aware that you are majorly having a panic attack. My palms are sweaty just reading this. BUT, how awesome to see the positive in the midst of the stressful moments!
    My favorite...abram and his giraffe pillow! LOL...cracks me up! Love him!
    Great Luthi family photo by the way!!

    ReplyDelete