Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What I saw

{This is something that I want to publish just so I can remember it.}

The brunette blogger and I started a new photography project...

It started merely as a simple thought, "How do I get better at photographing people when my own children never let me take pictures of them????"  Even the cat was getting sick of having her picture taken.

I have always been kind of artsy fartsy and needed an outlet.  I used to paint a lot with water color and do charcoal art work...but after children...those hobbies got shoved to the backseat.  Then last year, I thought maybe I would look into photography as an outlet.  Aaron bought me a DSLR camera and I bought a couple of books on photography for dummies.  But then Aaron broke his back. It took me many months to compose myself enough to even attempt to put a little time aside for myself.

And then an idea struck me.  It excited me---- the kind of excitement that I have not felt in a long time amidst my everyday. boring. life.

What if we did short sessions, just with a few people at work?  Our coworkers have been talking about taking family photos for Christmas cards.  They complain about the prices of sitting fees and not having rights to their photos by professional photographers....  So, what if we charged a dirt cheap fee, did minor editing, and then gave them their photos on a disc?  What if we decided to take this seemingly simple project a step further and donate all of the money earned---100%--- to charity.

When the idea crossed my mind, I roped the brunette in.  She was all for it.  The blonde was eager to help too... but has been very busy traveling with her hubby and taking care of her children.

So, it began.  The feedback was overwhelming--- so many people interested in giving us a chance to take their photos.  Worst comes to worst...they do not like their photos and their money gets donated to a good cause. 

I was amazed at what I saw...

When I looked through the view finder of my camera, I saw more than a ward secretary or a nursing assistant's daughter-in-law or a cancer survivor's children or a nurse that has taken care of my own family or a supervisor with her family...

I saw a mother's unconditional love....

A child with dimples like no other...



The most beautiful blue eyes...



A ham in front of the camera...

Dad's who could not wait to leave (and actually walked home) and Dad's who were totally into taking family photos...


And oh the feet photos...




And a completely new perspective on lighting (it seemed so wrong---going against one of the golden rules from our previous class---but man oh man it felt so right!)


During these "Short Sessions" as we called them, I learned a lot about positioning people and also about my camera.    I shot every photo in manual--- which was my own personal goal.

Now girls, time for the next class:)

3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are truly incredible, Mandy. Think of the valuable lessons you are learning, not to mention all of the people you get to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing this for charity is a great idea! Just be sure to have your "clients" donate the money directly so you're not inadvertently running a photog business, if you don't have all your legal and insurance set up.

    Love the back-lit one! That light is my absolute fav. Way to break the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so pretty, Amanda! I love the one with the little boy and the hat and your very low angle. And those big blue eyes on that other little boy! And of course, I love the back-lighting in the shot of those 3 munchkins at the end.

    Good job!

    I am a little bummed I couldn't participate with you guys, but look how fabulous you did!

    ReplyDelete