Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Inspiration

Lately I have had a hard time blogging.  Instead of the winter blues, it seems that our spring has infected us Midwesterners the spring blues.  Especially with more snow in the forecast...and yes it is getting to be the end of April.  I had started many (I am not going to even say how many) blogs but have failed to finish them.  And now looking back, they do not even seem pertinent to me.  But, I am determined to keep this blog...my journal...going so I am going to think of something not-so-serious to blog about.  Especially after the fun play date that I had with my fellow over achieving moms.  I just need to find inspiration!

Sometimes we find inspiration in the craziest places.  Like sitting behind a recliner in a little 4x4 space, in a 4000 sq foot house, talking and being completely content with two friends and four kids.  Or having those same insane friends pull together another amazing potluck lunch...angel food cake with lemon zest, fresh cut strawberries, and a fruit n' pasta salad.  Crazy!  OK girls...I have had some people ask me who in the heck these blond and brunette bloggers are.  So, I am going to talk a little about you and how you have inspired me...

The blond blogger's immaculately clean house once again inspired me to tidy up my own home.  Even with a new puppy and toddlers, her home continues to remain spotless.  Just as her apartment back in her school days was exceptionally clean.  And with everything she has been through, her faith remains at the center of her life.  You can read more about her life---and her kitchen floor--- HERE.

The brunette blogger's amazing parenting skills inspire me to be a better mom.  I have learned through her to never take anything for granted.  Putting a coloring Crayon to paper is more difficult than it looks.  She has worked very hard for everything that her little boy can do.  Every. Single. Little. Thing.  She should be inspiration to us all.  You can read more about their courage HERE.

Today I searched for my inspiration and I found it in the pantry.  (Not as deep as the other bloggers inspiration I know but at least it is a start.)  Inspiration in the form of  a can of powdered buttermilk.  People may think that I am nuts, but powdered buttermilk is one of the best inventions EVER.  No more wondering how to use that last cup of buttermilk in your fridge before it spoils.  No more feeling guilty buying much more buttermilk than you would ever use.  It is easy to reconstitute and no one notices the difference. 

I came upon powdered buttermilk shopping in Wal-Mart with my husband during our leaves from work.  We were working on building up his endurance and what better way than meandering through Wal-Mart grocery shopping.  I was looking for more powdered milk to mix up more cream-of-whatever soup bases and it jumped out at me.  I literally shrieked with delight!

"Oh my gosh! Powdered buttermilk?" I exclaimed.  Could it be true?  My mind worked overtime to think of all of the possibilities.  Homemade buttermilk ranch base...pancakes...waffles...cookie salad...I could have concocted a million recipes to use this gift from God.

My husband and everyone else can think I am crazy but this simple ingredient is something that is going to impact my life in a positive way.  I will always have buttermilk on hand.  OK...so maybe I am getting a little carried away...but I am really thankful for powdered buttermilk.  And therefore I think I have to count my blessings...

61.  Being inspired by the people around me and the people close to me.
62.  My amazing husband.  He is up to working eight hour days and tolerating it fairly well.  We are so fortunate for his amazing progress.  I am convinced that it is all due to the power of prayer (which is something that clearly defied science.)
63.  Our two children.  I love them so much!
64.  My brother-in-law who calls just to see what sup.  I do not know of any family that is as close as Aaron's family.
65.  Having a job to return to.  I do not think many places of work would treat a regular, blue-collar worker as well as my small town hospital has treated myself and my family.
66.  A 95 year-old who occasionally drives into our yard and honks his horn until we come out to talk to him.  Tonight, he brought us some yummy chicken, french fries, onion rings, lettuce salad, coleslaw, and dinner rolls for supper.  It was perfect!
67.  Getting used to our new normal.  It is a life that I am beginning to love.
68.  A crazy cat that always brightens my children's (and my husband's) spirits.
69.  A bright future.  Corney I know but our future seemed kind of grim for the last few months.
70.  Fat jeans. Lord only knows that every girl has a fat day.

A jar of honey inspired me to pick up my camera again because I just had to capture the drips.

3 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!! Sometimes blog posts arn't suppose to be thought about so much. You write from you heart and your awesome day! I was thinking about writing about you gals as well! Gotta love "charlies angels" or "the three musketeers" or "hewey, lewey, and dewey" Whatever you want to call us, we are so lucky!!
    Aaron kicks major butt! I got chills when you wrote about him. He CLEARLY defied Science!!
    Buttermilk powder! Another reason to shop at walmart!
    Your honey picture is so awesome! I love that honey! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mandy. One who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure and I think you have found two treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the lack of inspiration for blog posts lately...I feel the same way. But this post is just perfect! I love it! And the only reason my house was clean was because I am inspired by how clean your home and Kelly's home always is! And you are so right; watching Kelly teach Carsen EVERYTHING is so inspiring...I loved how you put it. And you are inspiring, too, my friend....how you stand by Aaron with no complaint, how you are learning to let him go and be "the man" again, how you are always ready for everything....
    I am so glad we have the 3 of us!
    And fat jeans, yes.....I wonder if Kelly knows what those are?
    And I love the honey photo! So soft.....

    ReplyDelete