Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Fridge Isn't a Fridge Without a Fire Helmet

Abram has always had an obsession with refrigerators.  When he was small, he was kind of a crabby baby (that is a topic for a different post.)  I noticed early on that whenever we were in front of the fridge, he calmed down. So, in a futile effort to keep him calm, I would stand in front of the fridge with him snuggled in my arms.  This sounds weird, I know.  But, when you have a crabby kid that cries A LOT you will do just about anything to help him calm down.  Even, if it means standing in front of the fridge for hours, opening and closing the door to see the light turn on and off.  We would look at the rainbow of different colors and shapes on the shelves.  He would quietly think to himself, "If only I could move...I could crawl into the fridge and help myself."  While, I rocked him in my arms he always felt more peaceful.  And, to this day, he still has an obsession with playing in the fridge.

This is Abram when he was almost 2.  He would "scoot" over to the fridge, crawl in it, and take everything that he could reach out. 


It always seems like Abram is looking for buried treasure or a surprise treat.  He is never disappointed when he is rummaging through the fridge.

So, this morning when I opened the fridge, this is what I found:

Notice the fire helmet


There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.- Mark Twain

1 comment:

  1. Oh I laughed out loud when I saw the fire helmet! Boys are so hilarious and exasperating all in the same moment! And as always, your quote is so true and heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete